Wednesday, July 13, 2011

One year later

One year ago today, Clifford George Jackson passed away. Someone said to me that today must be really sad for me. It so strange but while I miss Cliffy and have missed him everyday, when I think of him I just can't be sad.

There are just too many good memories, and when I think of him I can't help but smile! What a large legacy for a small dog! Even in his absence he can make me smile!

Witnessing Clifford's death was one of the hardest things I have done, and it still hurts when I think about the details. But his death does not define his life. Once again Cliff teaches me about life!

Since his passing I have adopted another dog, Bertram Tobias Jackson, aka Bert or Bertie. He is also a rescue dog. He is almost nine years old and bears the physical and emotional scars of being burned. He has made exceptional progress and with his scarred ears and his coat that will never grow back over most of his back, his spirit has grown.

Cliff showed me that you can trust after you have been hurt, Bertie reminds me of this too, and he shows me that our physical bodies are merely vessels in which our hearts and our souls reside. True beauty radiates from within. This little dog has brought me healing and happiness and once again I wonder who has rescued who. Bert may have many scars, but when I look at him I see beauty, courage, strength, forgiveness, and hope - I see perfection!

To Cliffy and all my beloved pets who are no longer here, continue to play in those Elysian fields until we meet again.

1 comment:

  1. Dogs are really man's best friend, its so sad when our dogs passed away, I remember my pitbull that dog was so kind and it is a good guard in our house, I cannot forget its face I love you Daniel!

    Zero Dramas

    ReplyDelete