Monday, July 12, 2010

From my sick bed

Hello to all my friends,

I am sending this message to you from my sick bed. My old nemesis, pancreatitis has struck again and I am feeling really lousy today. The human is taking good care of me, but is not giving me much food which is terrible - I AM STARVING!

Now I know she is doing the right thing - no food helps my pancreas rest and reset itself, but it doesn't stop me from being hungry. I am in a lot of pain so if this post is short and reflects the less than charming side of my personality, then I apologize, but when you've walked a mile in my paws then you might be more understanding.

I know exactly why this happened. As you know the human is uber-vigilant about feeding me a pancreas friendly diet, but on Friday, I seized the opportunity to take a huge mouthful of tuna off her plate when she stupidly put her plate down to answer a phone call. She was distracted, and I was jonesing for something other than chicken and rice, so I threw caution to the wind and laid into the tuna. In my excitement I knocked the fork off the plate - she heard that and immediate realized what was going on. She ran to grab the plate from me. I knew I had just a few seconds and vacuumed as much tuna into my mouth as I could.

Of course, I did not get into trouble. The human knew it was her mistake to leave her plate where I could reach it. Plus I think she knew I would be facing the consequences of my bad choice soon enough. So, here I lie, miserable, in pain and hungry - all because of a momentary weakness - DARN THAT TUNA!

So far I am doing well enough to avoid a trip to the vet. But it will depend on how dehydrated I get. I really hope the human can help me get through this without having to go and get IV fluids.

The human says I need to rest, and for once I am going to pay attention to her. So, if you will excuse me I need to get some sleep and hopefully get through this soon.

A word of advice to all of you - don't take food off other people's plates - no matter how good it looks.

Ouch, ouch,
Clifford George Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment